Welcome!

My husband and I love those shows where they throw a guy out in the wilderness and he shows how to survive in seemingly impossible situations. The more I watch them, the more I realize that I likely will never need to survive in the Sahara or the Sub-Arctic. I do however find myself feeling on an almost daily basis as if I've been cast out into a strange world full of obstacles to tackle and unknown creatures to cope with. This will be the chronicle of one woman trying to survive the jungles of parenthood.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

If It Looks Like a Duck...

   There's something unique about having kids less than two years apart the way our girls are (fourteen months in our case).  I think that the "twibling" experience as they call it over at the Baby Bunching blog is even more intense when you have two the same gender and when you're a parent to twiblings it starts to become easy to spot another family like yours.
     We had a funny run in in Target yesterday with another mom.  I was walking through the women's clothing department scoping out the clearance racks with Spice in the ringsling and Sugar walking next to the cart that she was supposed to be holding onto.  She was having some trouble with listening and she knows that she needs to hold on to either the cart or Mama's hand when she wants to walk through the store so I scooped her up to have what was probably the eight conversation about needing to hold on to my hand or having to ride in the cart as the alternative.  (When you are shopping with two toddlers you ALWAYS take a cart, even with one in the carrier and one walking and not much to buy.  Having somewhere available to tie a stray child down is invaluable in some situations.)  The other mother was a few racks over and smiled when she overheard our little talk and after I'd put Sugar down and we got closer she commented that my kids looked about the same age as hers.  Turns out she has two boys, one and two, who are fourteen months apart and she was enjoying a rare trip out without them.  She said seeing us reminded her just what a treat it was to get an outing by herself! We wished her a good trip and finished up with our shopping but it made me grin that we were so easily spotted as familiar.  It's funny, when you get so used to doing everything with two toddlers you sort of forget how much easier things are when you're all by yourself and just adjust to always accommodating two wiggly little people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are currently moderated so if your comment does not immediately show up, that only means that I haven't gotten around to moderating it yet!